UA-45667900-1

Thursday 22 August 2013

Autism - A Neurodevelopmental Journey from Genes to Behaviour

I am getting a little behind in writing up the findings of my research; I have several posts in preparation.  Here today is a link for those scientists among you:-

Autism - A Neurodevelopmental Journey from Genes to Behaviour


This is a free e-book with 24 scientific papers.  You can download the entire book or just individual chapters.  The book is from 2011, so it is quite up to date.

In the meantime I am looking at ion channels and transporters; and a new term to me "sensory gating".  This is all connected to an earlier observation I have noted about the effect of potassium (K+) on behaviour and a paper I found about the use of spironolactone (a potassium-sparing diuretic) as a therapy in autism.  The paper claims the benefits are do to a secondary anti-inflammatory effect of the drug; I am not so sure they got their science right.  This all goes back to the role of the neurotransmitter GABA, its role in how the brain develops as it grows and then how it functions thereafter; this is all affected by transporters NKCC1 and KCC2.


Asthma - Autism Hypothesis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment